Monday, June 14, 2010

Temple Dedication

The new Cebu, Philippines temple was dedicated yesterday.  Here are a couple of pictures that I downloaded from LDS.org:

There is a wonderful article in today's Meridian Magazine.  If you haven't already read it, you can access it here:

Here's a little update:  Kimball reads the blog of a missionary that is currently serving in the Angeles, Philippines mission.   In today's blog post, he tells about the temple dedication.  I thought it was pretty cool, I'm going to post some of what he said here:

Yesterday was the Dedication of the Cebu City Philippines Temple, and there were no Sacrament Services. The missionaries were all given a recommend and a white handkerchief with a Cebu Temple embroidered on it. It was a very spiritual experience, and the best part was all the cool things President Monson said about it. On Saturday we brought investigators to a "cultural night" show from Cebu where islanders performed native dances and had a big celebration. President Monson has such a great sense of humor that came out during the corner stone ceremony. He reminded me of dad on one of his days when mom says --"he's really asking for it, isn't he?" President Monson said that they might as well do the best they could with the mortar, but not be too stressed because later a professional would come and take it out and do it properly. He just kept saying funny things that most of the natives around me didn't get but I was rolling in the aisle. As they were about to go back inside, he passed the piano and said, "hang on a sec', I'll play us a number. I don't usually perform, but. . ." then he sat down and started playing some rag-time music. He's good! After a minute he slipped up a little and taking his hands off the piano, said: "I quit. We'll get on to the finale." Then he put a tail and a finishing chord on it and everybody laughed. He really is an entertainer. He then stood up and said (and this is for Rachel): "My brother always told me to keep with the piano. He was a piano teacher. But I felt that I had other things to do. Now I wish I had stayed with the piano." (I didn't make any of that up, that's what he said word for word!) Both outside and inside he took a few minutes to thank the Filipinos, saying that in his reading he was something of a historian, and one of his favorite things to read about was World War 2. He thanked the Filipinos for all they did for the Americans and the important part they played in the war, saying: "When courage was called for, you had it. When bravery was needed, it was there. Thank you." He was very sincere and it was a special dedication.


1 comment: