How is the winteryness these days?
This week has been fast! I bought that masarap na cereal I was talking about! I ate a little bowl of it every morning, Holy deliciousness! This week we had a strange experiance, we were walking, and this crazy man rode past us on a bike singing "Called to serve him, heavenly king of glory.." and Elder Nolasco and I shared a look of disbelief. I asked him if he knew that man or if he was a member and he didn't know. But it was funny, I thought. Then later that night we were walking and I heard "Oh Mandy, when you came.." and that became my first Barry-tastic experience here in the mission!
We always go around to a member Brother Renz who works with us, and he has a friend we always see rocking around with him. We were able to teach him the Everlasting Gospel! He was excited and came to mutual on Thursday, we have a lot of investigators with baptism dates on Feb 5. It's Elder Nolascos last week in the mission, he's fighting the trunkness, it's been fun the past few days.
Today we went to this prisoner of war camp memorial that was pretty awesome. The sisters in our zone really wanted to go there for our zone activity, so we did. It was a monument with a big wall with lots of names. Then it also had a lot of park benches and some slides. It had a little barangay next to it where we "me and two new elders" went to find a tindahan and buy some soda pop in a bag. I made them talk to this old lady selling ulam. While they were talking, I was standing at the tindahan to buy some drinks, and a little kid came up next to me and I asked: "ano ang pangalan mo kuya?" or whats your name brother? The bata gave me this look and that was when i realized it was a girl. She walked off and it was an ackward situation for sure!
This next week we have interviews with President Puzey, with the new changes in the mission we get mission interviews once in two transfers, so i'm pretty excited. This'll be my 3rd interview with him. I look back at the first few months in my mission and I'm amazed at how much I've been through so fast! I'm excited to keep learning in the mission field. I'm grateful for the opportunity to day by day be teaching the gospel of Jesus Christ and see others change, and by default be changed myself.
This week we were cruzing down the road on a jeepney and I saw these screen printing shops! Everything, all their screens were just up front, close to the road. It was fun to see people print t shirts everywhere you go! You asked about fire flies, I did see them but only every once in a while, they always remind me of Nauvoo, and trips back east. I had a war with this cock roach in our bathroom this week, every house is equipped with permethrin and so it makes the job fun. Elder Nolasco told me we have a cat that comes in our apartment into the room we don't use. Because we have a big hole in the window where this air condittioner metal grate protrudes, but we just keep that room closed.
I had a fun experience today, riding on a trike to the computer shop here, there were 6 of us Elders and we crammed 4 of us in the trike and two sat on the out side. I was last in and right there in the open spot holding on. All the other 3 had hold of my arm or leg but it was pretty fun. Here in the city we get a lot of "hey Joe's" and we see a few other Americans too! The funny thing is they wont look at you in the eye for anything.
Which reminds me, right after we were walking and the man sang a hymn at us, we walked past this funeral home. Here, when people pass onward, the funeral home comes to you and they stick big blown up picture of the passed on person with a cloud back ground on your fence, but in this story it's an actual funeral home (speaking of which hill in tagalog is burol but if you say it boohrol it means funeral). But there was a big picture of an American dude who had died and I though that was really random!
Love yall!
-Elder Hill




He is having so many fun experiences and so fast!
ReplyDelete