Monday, May 30, 2011

e-mail (5-30-11)

Hey ma! 

I gotta go quick and speedy today cause we have been rocking on, in Tarlac City kanina (earlier). 

Yesterday we had kinda a crazy day, we went to church in Mamonit, then came home and at 2 went over to the church in Mayantoc and set up the baptism room. Then we had the baptism! It was awesome, we had one of the young men who just got baptized 7 or so months ago baptize sister May Ann. Sister May Ann was crying, and it was awesome to hear her testimony.  I love the investigators the Lord prepares because they just progress and accept the change and go forth! 

We went on splits this week again.  I went into Sta Ignacia with Elder Thompson.  We taught this kuya (brother) named PJ who was Baptist.  He was nice and was splitting bamboo. But he didn't like it when we talked about Joseph Smith all that much.  I admire those Baptists for how well they all know the bible too, and it seems fun to go and dance at their church with all the mga bakla sometimes, joke lang! 

Something awesome that has taken place this transfer, is the progress of Mamonit area.  Now it's stronger than Mayantoc, where as last transfer it was kind of a harder area to work in. We've been given some referrals and found some new investigators to teach. 

Yesterday I tasted something new. Fish head. There's these little dried fishes here called tuyo which means dry, silly,  and we had bought quite a few of them.  I have eaten them before, but always didn't eat the head.  Then yesterday, we were eating them and Elder Dela Cruz told me to put it in the little bowl of vinegar we had, and smash it with my thumb. So I did!  And then I ate it, and it was good! 

How 'bout that Dennison and Ben!?   I hear they're leading it up! Those two are rockin! Rocking the eastern United States.  

Today the lady at the camera place asked me what religion we were.  I told her Mormons, but said it like a Utahn, cause thats all I know how to do.  She didn't understand me, then Elder Dela Cruz said, Mormuns and all was made clear.   I have fun saying mountain too. 

This week we also had interviews with President Puzy.  It was wild to think about my one year-ness. But it's still next transfer that I hit one year!  One kind of cool thing that never goes away is people not thinking I understand tagalog.  It's is fun to think of new ways to suprise them. Except one day this week I embarrased myself when these random people on a motor cycle came and talked to us.  They talked to me in English, so I talked back in English for fun, then started in tagalog.  Then they asked where our church is, and asked for a land mark.  I put my hands above my head making a spire shape and told them, "kung, tuloy lang po kayo diyan makikita nyo ang......sungay ng simbahan namin" (something to the effect that you will recognize our church because it has a horn on top).  I couldn't think of anyother word to use except for horn. So those people now think our churches have horns on them. Oops. thats ok! 

Heres a few pictures from the baptism:

Sister May Ann, her new husband, her little girl, and ?  (he didn't say)

 Elders Hilll & Dela  Cruz, May Ann & Michael Banaga who baptized her. It was awesome, she has been the first person I have seen baptized and been the first to teach her. It makes it a lot more closer to your heart and happy they got baptized when you can see the whole process! I'm loving it!  By the way, the tagalog of the McDonalds jingle is: mahal ko'to (I love it). 

I'm off for another week! Keep on rocking!

Elder Hill

1 comment:

  1. What a sweet baptism, I love the pictures!
    Funny surprises, gotta keep things interesting.

    Oh and Moira has been practicing the coin in the eye magic trick. = )

    ReplyDelete